This past weekend I made these with Gardien breakfast patties and coffee one morning and we just gobbled it all up.
I hope you like it.
|Vegan Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins Recipe|
- 1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1 and 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (you can use Vegetable Oil)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Orange Zest (I'm lazy, I never take the time to do this)
- 1 and 1/2 cups Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- As needed Sugar for sprinkling on muffin tops (optional) These are very sweet muffins so I don't usually add this extra sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 375/190C for 15 minutes. Grease a muffin tin well with non stick cooking spray.
2. Mix together the almond milk and vinegar; set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine together the ground flax seed, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, oil, milk mixture, vanilla extract and orange zest.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Fold in blueberries.
6. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups; about 3 tablespoons in each. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
7. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and a fork inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean which is about 15-20 minutes. I took out mine after 25 minutes or so, but there might be something wrong with my oven.
8. Transfer the tin to a cooling rack and leave it there for 5 minutes (if you can wait that long). Then remove the muffins out of the tin and let it cool completely.
1. If you are not able to find whole wheat pastry flour, then you can use 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup of all purpose flour as mentioned in the original recipe.
2. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw it because it will bleed.
3. I guess you could use any non dairy milk instead of almond milk.
4. If you are a spice fan you can use up to a teaspoon of cinnamon.
5. Since we prefer mildly sweet treats, I did not sprinkle sugar on top of the muffins.