Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Breakneck Point Trail Marathon Race Report

So last weekend I ran my first race of the season at the Breakneck Point Trail "Marathon", I put it in quotes because the race was about 29 miles long with about 10,000 feet of elevation gain and loss.



I went into this race in full fear mode wondering why I chose such a difficult race to start the season and wondering if I was up for the challenge.  Looking at the finish times from the previous two runnings of this race didn't help, the winner finished in 5+ hours and tough runners I know finished in the 8-9 hour range. So I went into this expecting it to be a long day, more like a 50 mile race than a marathon.


The course did not disappoint either, it was a long, beautiful, challenging day of big climbs and rocky, technical descents. One of the craziest moments for sure was the climb up Breakneck Ridge, which involved straight up rock climbing. I have experience rock climbing, but there were times when I was afraid I might lose my grip and fall to my untimely death on this damn course.  There was literally one climb I refused to attempt and took the extra time to detour around the side and find a more sane way to ascend.



 But the big pay off though was the view from the top and a bagpiper playing tunes for us.


Breakneck Ridge, trail running, ultrarunning, run, trail, marathon, Red Newt Racing, Trail Whippass


It was interesting to run such a tough race, probably the toughest I've ever run and see how my body and my mind would respond.

I gotta say, it wasn't that much different to running a less difficult race. I struggled with the same mind games, but with experience I knew to take it a little bit at a time, try to stay in the moment I was in and just keep moving forward however slow that might be.

Breakneck Ridge, trail running, ultrarunning, run, trail, marathon, Red Newt Racing, Trail Whippass

There were definitely times when I felt discourage at the bottom of yet another impossibly steep hill, but I would just put my head down and take it one step at a time, slowly picking my way up little by little.


Breakneck Ridge, trail running, ultrarunning, run, trail, marathon, Red Newt Racing, Trail Whippass

In the end I didn't do too bad, thankfully at about mile 20 or 22 the brutal climbing ended and we got to run along a ridge line for a couple of miles and then end with a 3 mile descent back into the start/finish area.

Breakneck Ridge, trail running, ultrarunning, run, trail, marathon, Red Newt Racing, Trail Whippass, waterfall
All during the race I was meeting new ultrarunners from the area and connecting with old friends which was great. I even met two guys that had run the Eastern States 100 and got to talk to them about what to expect with that one.

All and all it was a beautiful, tough, fun race and I will definitely be back to do it again next Spring. I finished the race in 8:48, feeling strong, which means next year I'm gonna have to push it even harder and see if I can beat that time.  It was fun to hang out at the Start/Finish area afterwards on the sunny lawn eating pizza and catching up with new and old friends.

Breakneck Ridge, trail running, ultrarunning, run, trail, marathon, Red Newt Racing, Trail Whippass


No comments:

Post a Comment